A look at the parole of a man charged with murder months later

Months before a gunshot death in Lexington in which he was charged, Brandon Dockery told the state parole board he had changed in the years since he set an apartment building on fire .

Dockery was released in November 2020, decades before serving his 45-year sentence on a second-degree arson guilty plea, two counts of attempted murder and five counts of endangerment without cause.

In July, he was shot dead by law enforcement during a confrontation with police officers serving an arrest warrant for murder. Police said at the time that Dockery fired three shots, law enforcement fired back, hitting him once on the hand and grazing his head.

He had been cornered by the US Marshals and Lexington Police. He was wanted in the July shooting death of Raymar Webb, 30.

We got the audio recordings of his September 2020 parole hearing to find out what he said before his early release.

“I really want to do better, every mistake I make I use it to learn and grow,” Dockery said at the hearing.

His prison sentence was handed down after admitting to setting fire to an apartment building near Center Parkway in 2010. Several people were in the building at the time of the fire, including a woman who was injured during the fire. ‘she must have jumped out of her. balcony on the third floor to escape the flames.

“I realized that I had put these people in needlessly, put these people in danger,” Dockery said during his parole hearing in 2020.

The fire destroyed the building, leaving dozens of people homeless.

“I am very sorry for the mistakes I made and I am sincere, and I am determined to change inside and outside the prison,” Dockery said during the hearing.

When Dockery was first sentenced to 45 years in prison in the 2010 case, his only charge considered “violent” was second degree arson, according to court records. The attempted murder charges were deemed “non-violent” because the targets in the fire were not seriously injured, records show.

Dockery’s charges in connection with the standoff with police and Webb’s shooting death will be heard by a grand jury. The grand jury will decide whether or not to indict him with the charges, which would send his cases to Fayette County Circuit Court to be prepared for trial.

About Ethel Nester

Check Also

A giant mixed-use building has just been proposed for Stephen Avenue Calgary

Another day, another proposal that could bring big changes to our downtown – specifically to …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.