Four students from Runcorn State High School and their families have been tested for COVID-19 and will self-isolate at home after students allegedly mingled at a house party with trapped teens from St Thomas More College in Sunnybank .
- The school has been informed that the students have tested negative
- Truck driver also tested positive for COVID-19
- Griffith University infectious disease official says Queensland shouldn’t brag about keeping COVID at bay
More than 1,000 students and their families at Sunnybank School are just days away from their 14-day home quarantine period, after a 13-year-old student tested positive on Friday last week.
In a statement this afternoon, Runcorn State High School said it was informed this morning that its students had tested negative.
The Education Department said he was advised by Queensland Health yesterday.
“The school has acted appropriately and the students have been sent home and asked to self-isolate, take a COVID test and follow health advice on when they can attend school again,” said said a spokesperson for the Ministry of Education.
“The school will remain open and will continue to liaise closely with Queensland Health and follow their advice regarding any potential actions that may need to be taken to minimize risk to students and staff.”
In the meantime, a new public health alert was issued this afternoon.
Queensland Health announced new COVID-19 exposure sites at a Goondiwindi truck stop after a truck driver tested positive.
Those who were at the Goondiwindi BP truck stop on September 8 between 1:51 p.m. and 2:21 p.m. were considered close contacts and those who were outside at the same time were considered casual contacts.
“We are asking all people in Queensland to regularly monitor the list of exhibition locations on the Queensland Health website and follow public health advice as there may be more locations,” Queensland Health said. in a press release, without providing further details on the case.
New contact tracing locations were added to Sunnybank Hills in the late afternoon.
“The delta is coming”
Prime Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk has said the Queensland State Parliament is winning the war on COVID-19, with no new cases of overnight community transmission and a single case in hotel quarantine.
“We are often told that nowhere in the world has stopped the spread of Delta except at this point in Queensland,” she said.
“Other states must fight just to regain a taste for freedom, Mr. President. We will fight to keep ours. “
But Griffith University infectious disease officer Nigel McMillan said the Delta strain was on our doorstep, and with so many cases in New South Wales, a big epidemic was imminent.
He said Queensland would have to go through the same transition that Victoria and News South Wales had recently gone through.
“So I wouldn’t be showing off as much at this point,” he said.
“We have some perks that people have talked about – our outdoor lifestyle and the sun and we were really quick.
“So at this point we’ve been very lucky, but Delta is coming.”
Twenty-nine cases are currently active in Queensland, including eight from the recent cluster in South Brisbane.
Loading form …