A man died in hospital following an agricultural accident in Northern Ireland.
The incident took place in the Tassagh Road area outside Keady in Armagh on Saturday September 25.e. It is understood that he was mixing slurry at the time.
The male died yesterday (Wednesday October 6e).
Agricultural accident in Northern Ireland
In a statement released on Wednesday October 6, a spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Police Service said:
“A man died in hospital today (Wednesday) following an incident at a farm in the Keady area on Saturday September 25e. “
âThe death is not treated as a suspect and the Health and Safety Executive has been informed. “
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the NI Ambulance Service said: âThe Northern Ireland Ambulance Service received a 999 call at 3:02 pm on Saturday 25 September, following reports of of an incident in the Tassagh Road area of ââKeady. “
âNIAS dispatched an emergency team, a HART officer, and a rapid response paramedic to the scene. The charity air ambulance with the HEM crew on board was also tasked with the incident. “
“After the initial assessment and treatment, a patient was airlifted to Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast,” the spokesperson concluded.
Be careful when mixing slurry
Monday (October 4e), HSENI reminded farmers to follow the code for mixing slurry to stay safe.
The closure period for the spreading of slurry will begin at midnight on Friday, October 15e, 2021.
âMud gas is a mixture of gases, including the extremely toxic gas, hydrogen sulfide. Even a low concentration of hydrogen sulfide can knock your smell out, so you won’t even know it’s there.
âAt higher concentrations, you will quickly have trouble breathing and be confused – and at some concentrations, a single breath can kill. “
âMixing slurry can be dangerous work because gas is released very quickly and in large quantities from the start of mixing. “
The first 30 minutes are the most dangerous. Therefore, it is important to remove all livestock from the shed before mixing begins and for farmers to leave the building as soon as mixing begins.
In addition, it is extremely important to stay out of the shed for at least 30 minutes after starting to mix.
Brian Pryce, member of the Agribusiness team at HSENI, said:
âWhen you are mixing slurry, stop and take the time to think about the risks involved. “
âDon’t take any risks when you mix slurry; your life may depend on it. Stop and think about all the work ahead and be sure to follow the code for mixing the slurry.
âAlways keep children and pets away at all times during the mixing process. Farmers should stay outside for 30 minutes after starting to mix or after moving or redirecting the pump.