The Volume Mixer panel helps you choose the input / output device, volume level for a particular application, etc. Whether you are using Windows 11 or Windows 10, you should follow the same steps. However, if the Volume mixer is do not open in Windows 11/10, here’s how to fix the problem.
If you right click on the volume icon in the taskbar, you can find a Open volume mixer option. Clicking on this option opens the actual volume mixer panel. If you are using Windows 11, it opens Windows settings> System> Sound> Volume mixer. However, if you are using Windows 10, you might find a dedicated panel in the taskbar. Nevertheless, if it does not work as described, you should follow these solutions.
Fix volume mixer not opening on Windows 11
If Volume Mixer does not open in Windows 11/10, follow these steps:
- Open from Windows settings
- Restart the Windows Explorer process
- Update / Reinstall the driver
- Run the audio playback troubleshooter
- Start the Windows audio service
To learn more about them, keep reading.
1]Open from Windows settings
If you urgently need the Volume Mixer Panel and it won’t open from the volume icon context menu, you can open it from Windows settings. For this you have to press Win + I to open Windows settings and access System> Sound> Volume mixer.
2]Restart the Windows Explorer process
You may find it helpful to restart the Windows Explorer process. To do this, proceed as follows:
- Right click on the Windows 11 Start menu.
- Select the Task Manager option.
- Select the Windows Explorer to treat.
- Click it Restart option.
Now check whether you can open the volume mixer or not.
3]Update / Reinstall the driver
Sometimes the volume mixer depends on the audio driver you have installed. If the driver has problems, you may not be able to open the volume mixer on your computer. Therefore, it is recommended that you update the driver first and check if that fixes your problem. Otherwise, you need to uninstall it and reinstall the driver. It is possible to do this using Device Manager.
4]Run the audio troubleshooter
Playing Audio is a Windows 11/10 built-in troubleshooter that you can run to fix any audio-related issues. In this case, you can use this troubleshooter to fix the volume mixer issue. To do this, proceed as follows:
- hurry Win + I to open Windows settings.
- Go to System> Troubleshooting> Other troubleshooters.
- Find it Audio playback Troubleshooting and click the To run button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions if it displays an error.
After that restart your computer and check whether you can open the volume mixer or not.
5]Start the Windows audio service
If the Windows Audio service is stopped for some reason, this issue may be occurring on your computer. To make sure that the Windows Audio service is running, follow these steps:
- Search the services and click on the individual result.
- Double click on the Its Windows service.
- Check if the Service status is Functioning Where Stopped.
- If running, close all windows.
- If Stopped, click the Start button.
- Click it Okay button.
Then restart your computer and check if this fixed your problem or not.
Besides the aforementioned solutions, you can also try these:
- Restart the computer: Sometimes restarting your PC solves countless problems. If there is any bug in your system, it can be fixed by restarting the PC.
- Windows Update: If you are using the Insider Preview version and start getting this error after installing the latest update, it may be a bug. In this case, you have to wait for the next patch.
- System restore point: If nothing helps, System Restore point is the only option for you.
How do I manually open a volume mixer?
To manually open the volume mixer in Windows 11, you need to open Windows settings first. To do this, press the Win + I keyboard shortcut. Then go to System> Sound. Here you can find the Volume Mixer option. You can click on it to open the corresponding panel.
Why does my Sound Mixer not open?
If there is a bug or driver problem, you may not be able to open the sound mixer or volume mixer on your computer. If this happens to you, you can follow the aforementioned guides one by one to resolve the issue.