Queen’s mobility issues ‘bring her down’, says Levin
Buckingham Palace announced earlier this month that the monarch had decided, after “careful consideration”, to watch the upcoming Trooping the Color parade and subsequent flypast surrounded only by active full-time cabinet members. This means the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the Duke of York will not be joining the Queen on the balcony of her London residence for a few weeks.
Royal author Nigel Cawthorne described the decision as “reasonable” and likely to have been made by the sovereign without the need for “much persuasion”.
When asked if he thought Prince Charles and Prince William may have played a part in the decision, the author told Express.co.uk: “I’m sure Charles and William will be delighted to not be there.
“I don’t think the Queen would have needed much persuasion after the furore that followed Prince Andrew’s appearance at Westminster Abbey in March for the memorial service.
“It was a sensible thing for her to do.”
The Queen will not invite the out-of-work Royal Family to the balcony of Buckingham Palace on June 2
Meghan and Prince Harry travel to UK to mark Jubilee
Asked if he thought the Queen thought the Duke of York had become a distraction at the Thanksgiving service for Prince Philip held two months ago, Mr Cawthorne added: “Yes, he It’s clear she was very much in love with her husband and wanted his life to be celebrated and Andrew’s whole appearance sort of overshadowed that.”
The Queen and Andrew traveled together from Windsor to London on the day of the service – the only in-person event Her Majesty has attended this year outside her residence.
Mother and son arrived at a side entrance to the abbey near Poets’ Corner and walked down the nave together.
Photos of the Duke accompanying the Queen and seated in the front row during the service were the focus of coverage following the poignant event held in tribute to the life and work of the Duke of Edinburgh.
READ MORE: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s UK return key to future plans
The Queen and Prince Andrew at Westminster Abbey in March
Mr Cawthorne, author of Prince Andrew: Epstein, Maxwell and the Palace, believes the presence of the Duke of York on the balcony on the opening day of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations next month could have had a similar effect.
He said: “I’m sure it is, Meghan, Harry and the Duke of York would be a terrible distraction, especially Andrew.”
Prince Andrew stepped down from public duties in November 2019, following his disastrous interview with Newsnight’s Emily Maitlis that focused entirely on his association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
DO NOT MISS
Meghan and Prince Harry with the Queen in 2019
The Queen acceded to the throne in 1952
In January this year, he returned the Queen’s military and royal patronages after New York Judge Lewis A. Kaplan failed to dismiss the civil lawsuit launched months earlier against Andrew by Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexual assault.
Buckingham Palace also said in a statement that Andrew would continue not to perform royal duties and a royal source added that the duke would not be permitted to use his HRH style in any official capacity.
The Duke has repeatedly and vehemently denied any wrongdoing.
In February, he reached an out-of-court settlement with Ms Giuffre, which did not involve an admission of guilt on Andrew’s behalf.
The royal family tree
Meghan and Prince Harry stepped down as senior royals at the end of March 2020 after unsuccessfully seeking to carve out a “progressive new role” within the royal family.
They have since moved to California, where they started a new organization, Archewell, which includes a video and audio production house and a nonprofit foundation.
In announcing that the monarch would only be surrounded by working royals, Buckingham Palace said in a statement dated May 6: “After careful consideration, the Queen has decided that the traditional balcony appearance Trooping the This year’s color on Thursday June 2 will be limited to Her Majesty and members of the Royal Family currently performing official public duties on behalf of the Queen.”
However, the sovereign will also be joined by a few non-active members of the Firm: the three children of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the two children of the Earl and Countess of Wessex and the husband of Princess Anne.
The Queen celebrates her platinum jubilee this year
Although they weren’t invited to the balcony on June 2, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said they would cross the pond with their children Lilibet ‘Lili’ Diana and Archie Harrison to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee .
A spokesperson for the couple said minutes after the Palace’s announcement: “Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are delighted and honored to attend the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations in June. with their children.”
The Sussexes can attend a few events open to all members of the royal family, such as the service of thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral or the Epsom Derby.